5 Not-So-Obvious Sun Protection Tips
We all know that staying out of the sun between the hours of 10-4 is a great way to minimize the damaging effects of sun exposure - but that's when the beach is calling! Try these tips:
· Use a beach umbrella. Our umbrellas are made with a 9 ounce marine grade fabric. Sunbrella performance fabrics have been awarded the Seal of Recommendation by the Skin Cancer Foundation. The color of the umbrella does not determine the protection, so pick your favorite.
· Broad spectrum SPF, okay, no brainer but don’t forget the sometimes overlooked delicate areas: tip of ears, back of neck and the tops of your feet. Check the date, make sure your sunblock has not expired. Sunscreens are required by the Food and Drug Administration to remain at their original strengths for at least three years, after that, toss it.
· UV protective clothing. Sometimes the easiest and simplest solution is best, throw a shirt on. Even if it’s a cotton t-shirt, some coverage is better than none but for UPF 50+ protection take a look here, https://www.coolibar.com/featured-collection.html
· Large sunglasses. A little extra coverage around the delicate eye area goes a long way. Crow’s feet, no thanks.
· Consider a sun buff. Sun buffs are popular with fishermen for a reason. Buffs can effectively block 95% of harmful UV radiation. They can be worn as a face mask, hood, beanie, neckerchief or headband.